Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A sad departure

I love earth and I love trees, really... I like gardening but can’t give it much time because of the hectic job and night shift and my long sleeping hours (my regular excuse).

I have a big house with lot of gardening space so when we shifted to New Bombay, me and my kid brother did not have many friends to play with so we used grow plants and make mud houses (sounds funny.. isnt it) Then my dad bought a plant which had just 4 leaves it was the almond plant, so my kid bro and me planted that plant as far as I remember we did that during the rains so that we don’t have to water it every day, seasons went away, we grew up and the plant grew twice faster, it became a shrub and a full brown tree, soon enough it started giving the almond fruits and my noisy neighborhood’s noisy kids used to throw stones and eat the almonds, people used to relax underneath the tree in summers, it provided shed in rains, it almost covers our entire house, (sounds like a story)

From a plant to a shrub to a fruit bearing tree to birds nest to a Landmark for new people the tree was all of it … last year in rains there was a big storm that hit Airoli which shattered almost 8 trees in our area, ours was one of them and it almost fell on my neighbor, he created a scene claimed that he might have died (yeah right with one branch falling on his head). This out broke a revolt in the other people and they demanded the tree to be cut off as it can fall on any kids that play there. (Did I mention we have Kids available in all sizes) well that was true and not alter then an hour the municipal van came with few woodcutters and not less in 15 minutes my tree was down on the road.. I felt so bad as a family member went away, my brother was so sad that he did not eat his lunch that day,
The whole tree was not uprooted the trunk still remained, now lately while the construction (at home) my dad decided to get off the garden and cover the garden space with Tiles… we tried to remove the remains of the tree which would not sound like a very big job but it took 3 days and 4 workers trying for 3 hours morning and 3 hours at evening to remove the tree… why the gap because the exhausted the energy every time they tried to remove it, it seemed like the tree was adamant and did not want to leave the space, I could never imagine that getting rid of a tree would be so painful.

Finally Daddy bought the machine Saw and chopped it off, and then it lay down on the footpath, but I felt that the tree really did not want to leave, a sad departure to a family member

I will certainly miss him

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its so sad that some people dont understand the importance of trees.Hope you get an opportunity to plant another tree.There's nothing in this world like planting and nurturing a tree or a plant and then watch it grow.
Take care and have a good day :) !

Nids said...

I agree with you, watching it grow was so wonderful and taking the tree down was as painful

Anonymous said...

Check this out ;
http://www.unep.org/billiontreecampaign/

Hope this will interest you.....Lemme know.TC.

Ayyappan said...

OMG!! Yaar, that was really sad..! I am planning to plant a couple of dozen trees in Airoli this month...!
Would you like to join me?!

Nidhi said...

are u serious???

I think you are keeping in mind that we have not recived our first shower of rain even at 18th day of the the month...

we need to get serious about the enviroment
well some 1 passed me a link and i do that to you :)

http://www.unep.org/billiontreecampaign/

Nidhi said...

@ Anonymous

thankz MR. India
i looked into the site but they need a commitment :(
may be my friend ayyo and me can plan some tree in airoli

Anonymous said...

Hope that makes you happy :) !

Ayyappan said...

Hey, this is an amazing link..! I have already pledged 20 trees for the month..!

And I am serious about the campaign..! :)