Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Slum Dog .... Curse or Boon

The Slum Dog Millionaire swept the Oscars, that’s obviously a great news, its has been the first ever Oscar received by an Indian film (as far as I know of) there were some movies earlier which tried to make their way into the Oscars but they could not get the award, moreover receiving 8 out of 9 is a spectacular way to do it.

I have heard a lot of people that everybody does like Slum Dog millionaire, I have watched the movie and it being from an Indian Background I understood most of it, I watched it yet again but did not find anything so great about the movie, some things were gross; like swearing Hindi bad words which made me a little uncomfortable while watching the movie with my mom (maybe an Indian mentality everyone knows Indians are very conservative)

second being the poverty shown in the movie; I agree that it is a true life of a person living in Asia’s largest slum in Mumbai (Dharavi), but if that’s it isn’t it setting up a wrong image of Mumbai to people never been to Mumbai,

I never like movies with sad stories like poverty or death but that’s my personal choice, obviously the movie has fetched the Oscars so it does have something great with it, we also have movies like traffic signal and Shoot out at lokhanwala or The Sarkar series which also talks truth in many aspects of the City like politics so can have them nominated in the Oscars as well…

5 comments:

Amol G. said...

Slumdog is a great movie!
It deservers all the Oscars.

Edith said...

Hi, I'm a colleague of Kristie.

Thanks for the blog help that you share with us. We appreciate it!

I saw Slumdog Millionaire several weeks ago. I agree that it showed a limited perspective of Indian life. I would love to hear from you about your life and see pictures of another slice of Indian life.

Thanks!

Nidhi said...

hey thanks Edith...
ofcourse I will let you know more about "Indian Life" but only if you let me know more about "American Life", thats a deal here....

I am happy that I am going global ;)

Take care :)

Edith said...

Nidhi:

I have a blog that I write for a group called "Young Life". Young Life is for teenagers; a group where teens come to have fun together and to hear a Christian message. I help the leaders to become better leaders.

The leaders take their teens to camp for a great fun week in the summer.

Here the link to the blog about young life in our city of Jacksonville, FL ---
http://jaxyounglife.blogspot.com

This will tell you a little about what teenagers do to have fun here!

Anonymous said...

I liked Slumdog and thought it was a very well made movie. For us in America though, I agree that it gave us a very limited perspective of what life is like in India. There are many professionals in India now and a growing middle class despite the continued existence of poverty. I too would like to learn more about India! Probably if you watched some American movies you really would get a funny perspective of America as well.